Green Army Thanksgiving!
It is turkey time, so we have a Green Army Men update for you all, with new weapons and the opportunity to fight over Thanksgiving dinner. Head over to https://store.steampowered.com/app/1062590/Green_Army_Men/ for more details!
Green Army Men!
Green Army Men:
The Green Army Men mod is now available as DLC to play with Rising Storm 2: Vietnam! For the full details of the Green Army Men DLC and it’s availability, see above!
Update 14 - Summer Holiday Update
With our 14th update, we are bringing you both new content for Vietnam AND setting up for a completely new addition - Green Army Men will be going official!
Within Vietnam itself, you will get:
2 new maps - the “Airbase Special”:
- Khe Sanh - with this map, we play out the “what if” the PAVN forces had succeeded in penetrating the perimeter and the fighting had spilled over onto the airfield itself, as the USMC fight to hold the attackers at bay.
- Da Nang - in another “what-if” scenario, the NLF guerillas breach the defenses of the huge Da Nang Air Base, with the USMC defenders trying to hold them back.
Green Army Men:
In addition, we will be taking the Green Army Men mod official, as a single DLC download, in the near future. Once it is released, all owners of Rising Storm 2: Vietnam will be able to play for free, using the base Rifleman class. And if, like us, you want to help support the Green Army Men developers (who are a mod team, building all of this in their spare time) you will be able to go and buy the Green Army Men Upgrade, which unlocks the other classes for you. All revenue from that Upgrade is shared with the Green Army Men team to support their efforts! For the full details of the Green Army Men DLC and it’s availability, see here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1062590/Green_Army_Men/
Update 13 - Phoenix Rising!
This is now the 13th content update for you, bringing:
3 New Maps
The last 2 remastered maps brought forward from RO2/RS1:
- Apache Snow (remastered from “Winterwald”) - ARVN forces fighting their way steadily up a heavily-wooded hill, clearing NLF positions as they go.
- Demilitarized Zone (remastered from “Mamayev”) - main-force North Vietnamese PAVN troops assaulting dug-in ARVN units, across a burned-out and blasted hill in the DMZ area.
The third map is a favorite community map made official:
- Saigon - PAVN forces fighting their way through Saigon, past the US Embassy, the cathedral and on to the Presidential palace, as ARVN troops try to hold them off.
This update brings in some new weapons for the Northern forces:
- RP-46 light machine gun - a modernized variant of the classic DP-28, also license-built in China and North Korea, with stocks being supplied to the North Vietnamese
- MAS-49 - stocks of this semi-automatic rifle were left behind by the French and were used by the Northern forces in standard, sniper and rifle-grenade formats
- Molotov cocktail - the classic homemade weapon of guerilla forces the world over
Many other changes and fixes, including:
- Balance pass on many maps
- Radiomen can now spawn on their commander
- Leaning system overhauled
- Individual Class Customization
- Campaign Role and Weapon Balance changes
- Helpngpter Aiming decoupled from the vehicle rotation
- And hundreds of bug fixes!
Update 12 - Rearmed and Remastered
With this, the 12th free content update in 18 months, we are bringing you a long list of performance improvements, audio occlusion, new weapons for the North Vietnamese forces, new maps, new heads - and a specific community request.
New weapons for the North Vietnamese:
- MP40 - the famous German sub-machine gun from WW2, issued to the NLF from Soviet stockpiles of captured weapons.
- 200-round belt for the RPD - this new variant will be selectable from the Role Select menu.
- Deployable DShK - players on the North Vietnamese team will be able to pick up a DShK 12.7mm heavy machine-gun from a resupply point, carry it to a new location and deploy it wherever they need it.
- Fougasse mine - a new trap for the Northern Sappers to use, this is basically a large improvised explosive device, detonated unwary Southern players standing on a pressure plate
New weapon for the Southern forces:
- The M2 Browning .50-caliber heavy machine gun will appear as a static support weapon in the new maps.
A considerable number of performance improvements have been implemented for this update, to player characters, particle effects, level optimizations, changes to the Instanced Rendering system, a new set of weapon LODs and a set of changes to textures, with an emphasis on improving how texture streaming is handled.
This update marks the release of two ‘remasters’ of fan-favourite Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm maps, taking them from their original settings and into the war-torn jungles of Vietnam:
- Mekong (remastered from "Hanto") - the NLF, fighting their way through the jungle to a US Marine Corps base.
- Dong Ha (remastered from "Guadalcanal") - a night-time assault by the NLF, through the jungle, against the outskirts of an airbase defended by the US Army.
We have implemented a new system where gunshots and other ingame sounds are appropriately affected by their environment. This does not apply to all sounds in the game, but will affect any sound loud enough to be heard through walls, and be muffled/occluded by obstacles such as buildings or terrain.
6 new heads:
For a little more variety, we are providing you with 3 new heads for the North Vietnamese, plus 3 for the US Army and Marine Corps. The 3 US heads represent the diverse ethnicity of the US forces of the period, with one being Hispanic, one Native American and one Asian.
And last, but by no means least, cinematics for the conclusion of a campaign!
After we released the Multiplayer Campaign update, players requested suitable cinematic sequences for the end of a Campaign. You spoke, we listened, we agreed - so here they are!
Multiplayer Campaign Content Update
With this update, we are bringing back the much-loved Multiplayer Campaign Mode from previous games, adapted to the Vietnam War. The key features:
- Full 64-player Campaign Mode
- Play as the Northern or Southern forces battling for control region by region
- Fight from 1965 through 1975, with the forces and weapons available varying with the year
- Help select the region to compete for, the army to use and the actual map to fight over
- The Northern forces can choose to make strategic use of the Ho Chi Minh Trail option to bring stronger PAVN forces to bear
- The Southern forces can respond with carefully-timed use of the Search and Destroy option to cause the maximum damage to the enemy
- Fight over familiar maps with different armies, different Commander abilities and weapons, different attackers and defenders
- Help decide the fate of the war in Vietnam!
In addition, one more map from the RISING STORM 2: VIETNAM $40,000 Modding Contest makes it to an official release:
- Highway 14 - this massive map features the US Army fighting their way along a highway through difficult terrain, clearing objective after objective, with the NLF guerrillas trying to stop them.
As always, there are a large number of smaller updates, bug fixes and enhancements, this time including:
- Tripwire traps and tunnel spawns can be placed in more surface types, making them more useful in urban environments - it just takes longer to dig in concrete!
- The ARVN now get their own variant of ERDL camoflage, plus a tiger stripe boonie, while the US get Mitchell Cloud camo
- And, as a special request for a mapper, we have created a single sound effect for a clap of thunder, instead of the existing looping one. We hope you enjoy using it!
And finally, 3 other maps are out of beta, featuring updates driven by feedback from the players:
- Operation Forrest - the Territories version of this official map
- Firebase Georgina
- Border Watch
ARVN Content Update
This update adds the Army of the Republic of Vietnam (ARVN) as a full playable faction in the game. The update also brings new weapons, specifically for the ARVN:
- M1 Garand
- M1D Garand Sniper Rifle
- Thompson M1A1 SMG
- M1918A2 Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR)
- M1919A6 .30-cal Browning LMG
- Douglas A-1 Skyraider ground-attack aircraft as a new Commander ability
There are also 2 new maps, showcasing the ARVN forces:
- Quang Tri: Set during 1972, Quang Tri is a daytime supremacy map set in the citadel of the provincial capital, pitting the new ARVN forces with limited US helpngpter support against NVA main-force units.
- A Sau: Set on an airfield and fortified camp in the A Sau valley, this nighttime territory attack map finds ARVN forces defending against attacking NVA main-force units. Visibility is limited under the cover of darkness with occasional flares lighting up the battlefield.
In addition, the update also includes 3 maps, made by fans for the fans, from the RISING STORM 2: VIETNAM $40,000 Modding Contest, now being officially introduced to the game:
- Firebase Georgina: Daytime attack by main-force NVA on a series of positions held by the US Army.
- Borderwatch: Australian forces attack territory held by the NLF (Viet Cong), pushing through jungles and across open fields to the VC’s final hidden base.
- Resort: US Marines stage a heliborne assault from the sea on a resort area held by Viet Cong guerrillas.
Bushranger Content Update
Digital Deluxe Edition
Purchase the Digital Deluxe Edition and receive 2 character customization items, 4 early item unlocks and the Official Soundtrack.
- 2 Exclusive Customization Items - Camouflaged Boonie Hats for both factions
- The Official Soundtrack made from original composed music will be available to Digital Deluxe Edition owners after the release of Rising Storm 2: Vietnam.
Early UnlocksUnited States Army/Marines
- Lowland ERDL Camouflaged Helmet
- Darkhorse Pilot Helmet
- Camouflaged Ushanka
Owners of Killing Floor 2 will receive 4 Vietnam-era weapon skins for the RPG-7, M1911 pistol, Lever Action Rifle and M16 M203.
About the GameRising Storm 2: Vietnam
is the next in the series that has twice been PC Gamer’s ‘Multiplayer Game of the Year’
, bringing the franchise into the era of automatic rifles, man-portable grenade launchers and more modern weapons systems. Still with the authentic look and feel and realistic weapon handling that the series is known for.
Continuing the Tripwire tradition of providing strong support for games post-launch, Vietnam has already been updated multiple times, providing the player with:
Rising Storm 2: Vietnam
- 64-player battles
- 6 different armies to play, each with their own weapons and abilities:
- United States Army and Marine Corps
- North Vietnamese Army (PAVN) and National Liberation Front (Viet Cong)
- Australian Army
- Army of the Republic of Vietnam (ARVN)
- Over 50 weapons, covering everything from rifles and pistols to flamethrowers and rocket launchers
- 4 flyable helpngpters - Huey, Cobra, Loach and Bushranger
- Asymmetric warfare - VC traps and tunnels vs. US napalm and choppers
- More than 20 maps
- 3 distinct game-modes
- Proximity VOIP
- And hundreds of character customization options.
offers intense action for up to 64 players
in battles between the forces of South Vietnam (the US and their Allies) and those of the North - the regular, main-force units of North Vietnamese Army, plus the guerilla fighters of the National Liberation Front (or Viet Cong).
SOUTHERN FORCES - US, Australian and ARVNThe Southern forces have firepower and mobility on their side, with each army having its own unique supporting arms:
For mobility, they have access to full helpngpter support:
- US Army/Marine Corps - airburst artillery, the Spooky gunship and napalm strikes
- Australian Army - Pair of Canberra bombers and heavy artillery
- ARVN - medium mortar barrage and napalm strikes from older A-1 Skyraiders
- UH-1 “Huey”: provides rapid transport for a squad across the map
- OH-6 “Loach”: acts as both a spotter and airborne command post, as well as a fast gunship, with its miniguns
- AH-1G “Cobra”: heavily-armed gunship with massive firepower for a pilot and weapons officer
- Australian “Bushranger”: a Huey, with dual M60 machine guns, minigun and rockets
Tactically, the Southern squad leaders become important - so long as the squad leader is alive and in a smart location, the rest of his squad can spawn in on his location. So keep your squad leaders alive at critical moments!
As for weapons, the Southern forces had a wide range of the best weaponry of Western nations, ranging from older, WWII-era leftovers, through to the latest technology of the time:
- M1 Garand, M2 Carbine, M3 “grease gun”, BAR and M1919 .30-cal LMG
- M14 Battle Rifle, M40 and XM21 sniper rifles
- M60 LMG and M16 automatic rifle
- For heavier support - the M79 grenade launcher and M9A1-7 flamethrower
- Explosives - M61 frag grenade, M8 smoke, C4 explosives and M18 Claymore
NORTHERN FORCES - NVA and VCThe Northern forces offer a broader mix
, with the People’s Army of Vietnam (PAVN - or NVA) as the regular, disciplined and better-equipped main fighting force, in comparison to the National Liberation Front (NLF) guerrilla fighters, equipped with whatever weaponry was passed down the chain to them from Russia and China - known as the Viet Cong. For supporting weapons each has:
To compete with the Southern forces’ mobility, the Northern forces have their own mobility - and stealth:
- PAVN/NVA - heavy artillery, surface-to-air missile defenses and rapid reinforcement from the Ho Chi Minh trail
- NLF/VC - a mix of ordnances (mortars, rockets, white phosphorous) used in a heavy barrage
- NVA and VC squad leaders can place spawn tunnels widely across the maps, allowing themselves and their squads to spawn much closer to the action - or even behind the lines
- Given their “home field advantage”, any NVA or VC crouching or prone in cover can’t be spotted by Southern helpngpters or aircraft
- SA-2 Missiles - the quick way to counter Southern air assets is by calling on surface-to-air missiles, if the commander can time it right
- “Ho Chi Minh Trail” ability - the NVA/VC commander can activate this ability to accelerate his team’s spawning rate, when times get desperate
- “Ambush Spawn” ability - the NVA/VC commander can also cause anyone on his team who is waiting, to spawn on his location for potentially devastating ambushes.
The weaponry for the Northern forces is wide-ranging - the PAVN well-equipped with modern weapons delivered from Russia and China, while the VC have to work with a wide variety of weapons:
- AK-47 and Type 56 Assault rifles
- Russian SKS-45 and US M1 Carbines and Mosin Nagant 91/30 rifle
- MN 91/30 and SVD sniper rifles
- PPSh-41 and French MAT-49 SMGs
- IZh-58 double-barrelled shotgun
- DP-28 and RPD LMGs
- RPG-7 rocket launcher
- MD-82 toe-popper mines, Tripwires and Punji traps